Wednesday 29 July 2009

More archives

While loading up more camp archives, I read this article, and found that on the staff of the first camp was Dennis Darlow. He was a very highly revered professor of mine at the Royal College of Music who was a very repected music academic and founded the Bach society. I DIDN'T KNOW HE'D BEEN TO MUSIC CAMP!!!!!.
The camps went from strength to strength, and increased to four camps (two junior and two teenage) This photo was taken when the camp was still in the top field. The new theatre was built over where the marquee and the campers tents appear on the picture. ( click to enlarge).

This was an article written about the camps by Carol Thatcher (yes THE Carol Thatcher).


She came to camp and interviewed us. She was pursued by paparazzi even then, her mother was prime minister at the time. (click on the article to enlarge).


2 comments:

  1. I'd almost forgotten about this-
    I remember being at the camp 2, maybe three times around when this happened. I have vague memories of her doing her interviews.
    I was only around 11 or 12 at the time & there because my parents (David & Ingrid Stanton) were helping out, having been asked to by Kath Worrell.
    I remember the great big vats of hot chocolate seemingly always on the go in the food marquee, the barn down at the bottom of the field where most of the stage scenery & props were made, the year of the rains that flooded the field forcing everyone to take shelter in the Stables (apart from one tutor who was seen floating out of his tent on an airbed, still fast asleep) & the end of the week production being 'Gasp'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you and your parents. so nice of you to leave a comment. Sarah

    ReplyDelete