Tuesday 28 July 2009

The second year

I came to camp for the first time in 1971 as a junior camper. The success of the previous year, had already meant that there were to be two camps that year (both junior).The tents were on the upper field where the new theatre now stands. The boys tents were down one side, and the girls down the other, with a big light shining down the middle. We had an old army mess marquee, and washed in the cowshed ( girls upstairs and boys downstairs).
It was a camp with mixed feelings for me, as my Father had died during the previous week. I remember being very homesick. It was however the start of something very exciting that would have a profound influence on the rest of my life.
Here pictured is John and Cleo ( dressed for camping!) strolling down from the rectory to see how it was all going.

No comments:

Post a Comment